This access statement does not contain personal opinions as to our suitability for those with access needs, but aims to accurately describe the facilities and services that we offer all our guests/visitors.
Thirsk Racecourse is committed to providing an accessible environment for all racegoers. The majority of our restaurants and bars are located on the ground floor, and those that are not have access via passenger lifts.
Access Statement for Thirsk Racecourse
Thirsk Racecourse is easily accessible and provides facilities for wheelchair users in all areas, as well as very clear and well utilised public-address system. There is also a CCTV production showing the racing on TV screens situated in all the enclosures.
Invariably there are also two permanent big screens located on the Hambleton and Premier stand with additional temporary screens placed to compliment both enclosures.
For full details and maps of how to reach us please see the Location section of our website. Alternatively, you can plan your journey by car or public transport using a journey planning website; simply enter your postcode and ours, which is YO7 1QL to get directions.
- The nearest railway station is Thirsk, which is 0.5 miles away (a 10-15 minute walk). Taxis are available at the station and the Racecourse operates a free shuttle service from two hours before the first race until one hour after the last race.
- A complimentary shuttle bus is in service on a raceday from Thirsk Train Station and the racecourse coach park.
Car Parking and Arrival
- There is ample free parking on site for cars and a dedicated coach park. We have a reserved Blue Badge parking area in both the Public and Premier car parks.
- The on-site car park surface is tarmac or grass and all at ground level.
- There is a drop off point at the Premier Entrance in the Premier Enclosure, and outside the main Grandstand Paddock and Picnic enclosure turnstiles.
- There is easy access to all enclosures for wheelchair users with a lift facility in both the Hambleton Stand for patrons in either the Hambleton or Thomas Lord Dine and View restaurants with a passenger lift also in our Owners and Trainers facilities.
- Public toilets are located on the ground floor with level access in all enclosures, as are dedicated toilets for wheelchair users in both enclosures.
- There are also public toilets, including accessible toilets, on the first floor of the Hambleton Stand (situated at the entrance of the Thomas Lord Dine and View Restaurant).
Personal Assistant scheme
For racegoers with disabilities and who require assistance from a qualified carer, we operate a Personal Assistant scheme. This allows the Personal Assistant of the racegoer requiring assistance complimentary admission into the Racecourse.
To qualify, we will require a copy of your accreditation e.g: PIP, Careers allowance confirmation etc
To obtain a Personal Assistant pass, please call the Office on 01845 522 276 at least 1 day prior to the event.
Our facilities for physically challenged racegoers are as follows:
- Accessible Car Parking in all enclosures
- Wheelchair Entrance in all enclosures
- Accessible Toilets in all enclosures
- Ground Floor Access to Bars, Restaurants & Refreshment Areas in the Premier and Grandstand Paddock & Picnic Enclosure
- Designated Accessible Viewing Area at the Parade Ring for all enclosures
- Lift Access to Private Boxes and The Thomas Lord Restaurant on the first and second floors
- All of our staff receive regular training and we have a set of evacuation procedures – should you require it someone will assist you with evacuation either out of the building or to a refuge.
- We do not allow any animals on the premises but we do welcome trained assistance/guide dogs.
- Clear signage is used throughout the Racecourse.
- We can also offer a list of nearby accommodation providers if required.