This access statement does not contain personal opinions as to our suitability for those with access needs, but aims to accurately describe the facilities and services that we offer all our guests/visitors.
Access Statement for Thirsk Racecourse
Thirsk Racecourse is a charming, country racecourse, situated in the historic town of Thirsk, beneath the Hambleton Hills. Thirsk stages flat racing from April to September each year and offers a wide variety of viewing, dining, bar and betting facilities, and catering choices, to suit all budgets and tastes. It is easily accessible and provides facilities for wheelchair users in all areas, as well as very clear and well utilised public-address system. There is also a CCTV production, showing the racing on TV screens situated in all the enclosures. Invariably there are also Big Screen facilities placed in front of the grandstands and in the Paddock area too.
• For full details and maps of how to reach us please see the Location section of our website. Alternatively, you can plan your journey by car or public transport using a journey planning website; simply enter your postcode and ours, which is YO7 1QL to get directions.
• The nearest railway station is Thirsk, which is 0.5 miles away (a 10-15 minute walk). Taxis are available at the station and the Racecourse operates a free shuttle service from 1 hour before the first race until 1 hour after the last race.
• The nearest bus stop is adjacent to our main entrance - ask the driver for the stop at the Racecourse.
Car Parking and Arrival
• There is plentiful free parking on site for cars and buses and a reserved Blue Badge parking area adjacent to the Premier Entrance in the Premier car park. This is available for all Blue Badge holders.
• The on site car park surface is tarmac or grass and all at ground level.
• There is a drop off point at the Premier Entrance in the Premier Enclosure and outside the main Paddock Enclosure Turnstiles as well.
• There is easy access to all enclosures for wheelchair users.
• Public toilets are located on the ground floor with level access in all enclosures, as are dedicated toilets for wheelchair users.
• There are also public toilets, including accessible toilets, on the first-floor of the Pavilion and in the Hambleton Stand (situated in the Thomas Lord Dine & View Restaurant).
• All of our staff receive regular training and we have a set of evacuation procedures – should you require it someone will assist you with evacuation either out of the building or to a refuge.
• We welcome trained assistance dogs.
• Clear signage is used throughout the Racecourse.
• We can also offer a list of nearby accommodation providers if required.